"If every tenant affected by the bedroom tax decision appealed then the system is brought to its knees. The government expects just 3% to appeal and estimates an appeal costs the local council £200."
- How can a HB Officer decide what a bedroom is if there is no legal definition?
- If defining a bedroom would tax the minds of the most learned judges then how does IDS expect a HB officer to make such a decision!
- Has the council seen your property or how many bedrooms it has? No – so a 3 bedroomED property does NOT mean you have 3 bedrooms does it?
- A property is not the same as the number of bedrooms it has!!
- Has the HB Officer simply accepted your landlord’s word that you have 3 bedrooms? Yes. So this is a decision taken without the HB officer knowing is this is true or not!!
- The government (DWP) issue very detailed guidance (48 pages long!) on this and if you council has not followed this then this is also grounds for appeal. "